This week’s musing asks…
How do you decide to read a book by an author you haven’t read before? What sort of recommendations count most highly in making that decision?
To Find out what others are say go to Should Be Reading.
There are several things that affect my decision to read a new author.
- If it is Science Fiction I will almost always give a new author a try. That is my all time favorite and I am always looking for new books and authors.
- Because I like books set in historical settings I will give a new mystery author a try based on the time period it represents if the book sounds interesting.
- Sometimes I try a book by a new author if I get a copy free. If that book does not catch me quick I will put it down and not continue reading.
- I read reviews and recommendations on other blogs, that my Goodreads friends post and that appear on author’s web sites.
- I like to browse bookstores and read the first few pages to see if the book interests me.
- I sometimes try a new author when their book shows up on my Amazon recommendations.
- I belong to several book clubs and often read picks by authors I have not read.